Re: grub question - please help

    "Bruce" == Bruce Park <bpark79@hotmail.com> writes:

    >> The leading '/' on the vmlinuz kernel name was probably his
    >> problem.
    Bruce> OK, I edited the it to:

    Bruce> kernel vmlinuz-2.4.18-bf2.4 root=/dev/hda4 ro

Sorry, I mis-spoke.

    Bruce> which results in: Error 1: Filename must be either an
    Bruce> absolute pathanme or blocklist

    Bruce> On my system: bash$ ls -l /boot | grep
    Bruce> 'vmlinuz' -rw-r--r-- root root <...> vmlinuz-2.4.18-bf2.4

    Bruce> I still can't solve this problem.

When you get the grub boot screen hit the 'c' key. You should get a
'grub>' prompt from the grub shell.

Now set your grub root to your boot partition. Your mail has lost
references, so I can no longer find your original post, but perhaps
you have to type something like 'root (hd0,1)' if your /boot partition
is on /dev/hda2. Press enter and grub should tell you what type of
file system is on /dev/hda2 (or whatever you selected).

Now type 'kernel /' and hit the tab key. See what it says. If it does
not list vmlinuz-2.4.18-bf2.4 then look for the right kernel name. Go
ahead and fill out the root and ro parameters. Hit enter. Then boot.

I'm sorry if I'm not helping much here....I've lost track since I
can't find your original post.

Best regards,
Shyamal