Re: Manipulating .debs

Stig Are M. Botterli <samb@mo.himolde.no> [2002-12-07 17:37:33 +0000]:
> I wanted to remove a dependency from a debian package. I took it apart and
> edited the control-file, and put it back together. However, dpkg wouldn't
> recognize it as a debian package. 'file' reports it as a "current ar
> archive", while it reports the original .deb as a Debian binary package. So
> the question is, how do I 'brand' (ie give it the correct magic number) my
> manipulated .deb-file as a debian package?

Debian uses the oldest ar format so that it is compatible with newer
ar programs which read both the old format and the new format.
Therefore you would need to use the old ar program to repack the .deb.
Unfortunately off of the top of my head I don't know where that old
format program is that debian uses for that purpose.  This is
documented somewhere in the debian packaging manual.

Bob