grub question - please help

Hello folks,

I'm having a difficult time loading the linux partition in grub. I'm going to do the best that I can to explain what I understand and what I don't. I'm currenty using 2.4.-18-bf2.4 kernel. I am also using a floppy to test this. I have NOT loaded this into the MBR. Instead, the Lilo is in the MBR.

My partition consits of:
hd0,0   /dev/hda1    Windows    NTFS
hd0,1   /dev/hda2    boot            ext2
hd0,2.  /dev/hda3    Swap           Swap
hd0,3   /dev/hda4    Linux root     ext3

Now, I got the Windows part down but I cannot get the linux part. I'm going to add line numbers to make this easier to read. Here's what I have so far:
1      title Linux
2      # load the boot partition to Grub
3      root (hd0,1)
4      load the kernel
5      kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/hda4 ro
6      # this DOES NOT WORK
7      # kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.18-bf2.4 root=/dev/hda4 ro

Line 3 loads the boot partition into GRUB's root partition. In the boot partition there is NO kernel vmlinuz. There is ONLY vmlinuz-2.4.18-bf2.4. For ex:
bash$ ls -l /boot | grep 'vmlinuz'
-rw-r--r--  1   root    root   <not important>  vmlinuz-2.4.18-bf2.4

File vmlinuz exists at the Linux root partition. I did NOT load hd0,3 into Grub's root.
bash$ ls -l / | grep 'vmlinuz'
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root <not important> vmlinuz->/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18-bf2.4

If vmlinuz doesn't exist in the boot partition, why does that work? When I run this, it actually is executed but runs the WRONG kernel. I cannot start X because kernel 2.4.-18-3 is running instead of 2.4.18-bf2.4. When I edit line 5 to line 7, Grub states that the file cannot be found. Can someone please help me?

bp