Re: Cups

On Thu, Dec 05, 2002 at 09:54:00AM +0000, sdownes wrote:
| Struggling with Cups.
|
| It is installed with apt-get
| I can print a test page OK from Cups
| I can print through cups from my windows box

| Cups is updating /etc/printcap when I modify the printer

Cups can be configured to do that because some programs are hard-coded
to look there for printers.  That file really has no meaning to cups
at all, though.

| Printing from Abiword to lp does nothing
| command line (lp -d lp@rm "filename") returns:-
| 	lp unable to print file server-error-service-unavailable
| from a remote host or:-
| 	job queued but cant start daemon
| (it isn't queued in cups)

Can you print directly through lp?  (take abiword out of the picture
for now)  For example try
    echo "test" | lp -d lp@rm

what about just
    echo "test" | lp -d lp
?

If you don't specify the host, localhost is assumed.  If you do
specify the host, then the host will need to exist.  My first guess at
this is that the "lp" command can't find the host "rm" to send the
print job to it.

-D

--
The teaching of the wise is a fountain of life,
turning a man from the snares of death.

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/