Re: Install debian from local iso images

On 05 Dec 2002, 20:51:51, Lourens Steenkamp wrote:
> Lourens replying to Sebastiaan <S.Breedveld@ITS.TUDelft.NL> wrote:
>       >  On Wed, 4 Dec 2002, Lourens Steenkamp wrote:
>       >  > "is it possible to install debian from local iso images
>       >  > without having the need to write them to cd, much the same
>       >  > way mandrake 9 gives you the option to do ?"
>       >  >
>       >  Easy. Mount them as a loop device, like:
>       >
>       >  mount -o loop -t iso9660 /tmp/blabla/debian-cd1.iso /cdrom/
>
> Thanks - I have forwarded this to the guy.

I have /dev/hdb1 with a FAT partition, with the debian ISO on it.

I have /dev/hda as well, but no partitions or anything.

How do I boot and then run the install from the the ISO?

Do I:

Boot a rescue floppy
Boot a root floppy
Insert the two drivers disks when asked
Alt-F2 to get a shell and mount /dev/hdb1 to /target
mount -o loop -t iso9660 /target/filename.iso /cdrom

and then what?  go through the floppy-based install and then, when is asks
about where to install the kernel and base system from, tell it /cdrom?

In another case, if I have a running Debian system, and I have the iso in
/tmp, and I have it mounted via the loopback to /cdrom, say, how would I
start the install process to install a 2nd, new Debian system on a set of
currently vacant partitions?

I faced this issue earlier, and finally found the "burn ISO image to CD"
on an WinDoze box with Adaptec EasyCD and was home free after that.

But I never did figure out how to do it with just hte .ISO . . .

madmac

--
Doug MacFarlane
madmac@covad.net