Re: What to change for eth0 (Direct PC connection)

--- Michelle Storm <jade@storms-elite.net> wrote:
> I want to be able to transfer a LOT of data from my linux box to a
> friends WinXP box. I have a cross-over cable. I need to know what I
> have
> to change on my computer (if anything) so that they can see each
> other.
> Even if I just ftp to an IP assigned on his box.
>
> What's the easiest way?
ifconfig eth0 down
ifconfig 192.168.0.2 255.255.255.0 eth0 up
instead of using 192.xxx.etc.??? use whatever would be compatible with
the XP machine... then you should be able to directly ftp...  you may
be better up setting up NFS (network filesystem) to transfer a huge
amount though.

> We are on a network with a cable modem connected to a switch, and
> then
> the computers are all connected to the switch. The problem is that
> each
> computer is on a different IP (and I was told different subnets), so
> that when I try to ftp the files to his computer it goes OUT through
> the
> modem to find his computer, instead of just going straight to the
> switch
> and then to his computer.
Best,
Shawn