KDE sound

Hello Debian users,

I'm using KDE3 and I had a few questions regarding the sound server aRts. I need to edit the system volume but when I go into sounds in the control system, I don't see anything that pertains to volume. It states something about using a sound server at start up and I'm thinking that this should be arts. I do NOT have the arts plugin for XMMS nor do I really want to run a useless process and hog memory. Can someone recommend a way to manipulate the system volume?
 As always, any help or suggestion is greatly appreciated.

bp