Re: audio cd

HI Bruce,

* Bruce Park <bpark79@hotmail.com> [021205 11:03]:
> Nick,
>
> It seems you are absolutely correct about using cdplay. It's better to
> concentrate on the initial source of the problem rather than use XMMS and
> see if that's the problem.

This is how you should approach most problems, not just computer ones.

> Anyhow, I installed the cdtool package as you said and tried cdplay.
> Originally, I had more error than what I'm about to show you but I
> took care of that error by adding myself to the group cdrom.
>
> Here is the error now:
> bash$ cdplay
> cdplay: can't open cdrom (/dev/cdrom)
> cdplay: error opening /dev/cdrom
> /dev/cdrom is owned by group "disk"
> Try , as root: chgrp --dereference cdrom /dev/cdrom
> cdplay: CD Status is no_disc
>
> Here is what my directories and files look like:
> =======================================
> bash$ ls -l / | grep cdrom$
> drwxr-xr-x 1 root   root            4096  Dec   2   13:07  cdrom
>
> bash$ ls -l /dev | grep hdc$
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root   root            3  Dec   2   13:07 cdrom -> hdc
> brw--rw---- 1 root   disk      22, 0   Mar  14   2002 hdc

OK, I think you are almost there. What you show above is almost what
you need. The thing is that you are now out of the disk group so you don't
have permission so read or write /dev/hdc. Use chmod to fix this the
prblem for /dev/hdc.

chmod o+rw /dev/hdc

Now try and run cdplay again.

> I actually was listed in group disk but realized the danger of that. What
> should I do now?

See above. It makes the /dev/hdc readable and writable by everyone.

Email the list with the results (and please _don't_ cc me,  I only
need the email once).

Cheers,

Nick.

--
Debian testing/unstable
Linux onefish 2.4.19-lavienx #1 Sat Sep 21 19:58:12 EST 2002