Re: Window manager (sensible sessions solution)

I tried to post this once, but it didn't go through.
Here's the command to add window managers to your
sessions files. (Assuming you use gdm)

cp -a /usr/bin/wmaker /etc/gdm/Sessions/Windowmaker

This copies your startup script into your Sessions
files. You then need to give it permissions.

chmod a+x /usr/bin/wmaker

This is a much superior method to your "startx" from
the terminal idea. Use "Sessions" in your log in box,
that's what it there for.

Cordially,
David Bersson

 --- On Tue 12/03, Karsten M. Self  wrote:From: Karsten M. Self [mailto: kmself@ix.netcom.com]To: debian-user@lists.debian.orgDate: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 22:48:58 +0000Subject: Re: Window manageron Tue, Dec 03, 2002 at 02:42:20PM -0000, news.ntlworld.com (nanorobot@hotmail.com) wrote:
> What is the coolest window manager to use with knowe of KDE?
> Enlightenment and Windomaker look really cool. Much better than W**dows.

The coolest one is the one you like.  It's possible to install multiple
window managers on your system and try them until you find one that you
like.  My own preference is WindowMaker, without a "desktop) (KDE or
GNOME).

One way to do this is to start an X session with an xterm as the primary
app, and run your WMs from that:

    $ startx $( which x-terminal-emulator )

Start the windowmanagers from the terminal, ^C should kill them.  I'd
run KDE and/or GNOME last within this session, or in a seperate session,
as they start other processes which may not terminate cleanly.

WM's worth looking at:  enlightenment, windowmaker, fluxbox, sawfish,
blackbox, fvwm, xfce.  Or others.

KDE's pretty tightly integrated w/ kwm, and I'm not sure it's possible
to specify an alternate WM with KDE3.

Peace.

--
Karsten M. Self         http://kmself.home.netcom.com/