Re: Can't get ATI Rage128 to work with XFree86 on Debian

On Mon, 25 Nov 2002 00:20:44 -0500
Anthony and Mary Ann Tantillo <amtantillo@earthlink.net> wrote:

> The relevant section of my XF86config-4 file is:
>
> Section "Device"
>         Identifier      "ATI Xpert2000"
> 	Chipset         "ATI Rage 128 RF (AGP)"
> 	Driver          "r128"
> 	VideoRam        32768
> EndSection
(...)
> Someone else a week or two  ago mentioned having trouble with OpenGL
> applications.  The application that gives my setup the most problem is
> ghemical, although I haven't tried it lately, and with Debian, my
> computer (display?)  doesn't freeze up.

Mine is:

   Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Rage 128"
        Driver      "r128"
        VendorName  "ATI"
        Chipset     "ATI Rage 128 Pro ULTRA TF (AGP)"
        ChipID      0x5446
        VideoRam    32768
        BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
   EndSection

and X 4.2 works fine in general, but the bugger won't last 10 minutes if
I run an application that'll use acceleration. For me, that means any of
the OpenGL xscreensaver screensavers, and, most important, the flightgear
flight simulator :(

I've just tried it this morning, having recently installed Linux kernel
2.4.20, but the problem remains.

Does anyone know how to get acceleration from these #$%!% $#&%$!# broken
ATI cards? For over 10 minutes, that is.

--
Carlos Sousa
http://vbc.dyndns.org/