Perl and MySQL on Debian - I need help

I am stymied and stumped in attempting to get the DBI modules working and accessible on my Debian Linux system. If someone can help me, please email me at wyn@dragonscale.com.

I have downloaded the following files from mysql.com:

Data-Dumper-2.101.tar.gz
DBI-1.18.tar.gz
Msql-Mysql-modules-1.2216.tar.gz

(or whatever the current numbers are at mysql.com).

I put them in the [I think it was] /etc/lib/perl5/5.005/ directory.

I gunzipped and tar -xvf'd the .tar.gz files and then cd'ed into the appropriate directories and did perl Makefile.PL, but then make refuses to cooperate, saying that cc is not installed on my system.

Please be aware that I am not a proficient Linux person and am seriously considering converting to Red Hat, which apparently has these things installed as default. I basically need to have several things working:

Apache
a web browser (I'd be glad to use Netscape, but the only browser I can get to work is lynx)
Perl
DBI
MySQL

Right now, I have everything working except DBI. And it has been a challenge, every step of the way. I am not a happy camper.

Wyn