Help configuring old mozilla compile

Hi,

I am trying to compile the slink version of mozilla, because the
binary .deb version I have installed has several peculiar bugs: eg when you
type an address into the URL bar, you can't make it go to that site,
it just ignores it; also, an error dialog "Actions not found: BtnUp,
BtnDown" keeps appearing, though the mouse works OK. My suspicion is
that these are caused by the fact that I have X 4.2 installed, which
did not exist when that mozilla binary was compiled!

So I've got the source, and the Debian Diff, and untar the source, and
apply the patch, and cd into the newly-created directory, and make.

But I've got this infuriating circular problem. It wants to link with
the libraries libjs.a and libjsj.a. What source package are these provided
by? Mozilla. Can I figure out how to get it to build them before it
wants to link with them? No. The docs that came with the package? It's
more or less a case of 'what docs?'

I can provide it with the libjs.a out of the original binary, which is
not what I want to do, but satisfies it. It has built its own
libjsj.a, but apparently not completely, because if I copy that to
/usr/local/lib and try and link with it, I get loads of unresolved
symbols - JS_this and JS_that.

Well, there's gotta be some option I can set somewhere to make it
build these libs, but what is it? There must be someone out there who
has already done this, even if it was a few years ago, so if you can
remember, please tell me!

TIA,
Pigeon