Re: usb mouse

Bruce Park said:

> Hello all,
>
> I have a MS Wheel Mouse Optical plugged into the usb port in my pc. This
> mouse has two buttons and a scroller.
> It seems to me that my X-Server won't start because it doesn't recognize
> /dev/input/mice. I've read somewhere you need to load the usb modules
> before  you can use them. Since I just finished installing
> debian(2.4.bf24), how can  I install the usb modules?

I would expect the bf24 kernel to have the modules. lookin at the config
file it does. So, for me it was pretty easy, I migrated my laptop to
2.4.20 a couple days ago and usb was a snap(about as easy as with
2.2.x.

what i did:

modprobe hid
modprobe mousedev

that loaded the drivers for my logitech mouseman marble wheel.
I already had my device, I use /dev/usbmouse:

crw-rw----    1 root     root      13,  63 Feb 17  2002 /dev/usbmouse

that would be:

mknod /dev/usbmouse c 13 63

then I configured X to use this device and it worked fine. I already
had X configured since I had usb workin in 2.2.19 as well. I don't
have my USB load on boot, it seems to conflict with my sound, so
I only load it when I need it.

nate