Re: how to make hda become hdb?

On Sat, Nov 30, 2002 at 05:39:28PM -0500, Mike Dresser wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Nov 2002, Pigeon wrote:
>
> > Which does not involve unplugging it and changing its position on the
> > cable, like a floppy drive does. You'll only need to do this sort of
> > thing if you're not happy with your current /dev/hdb becoming /dev/hda.
>
> According to IDE specs, master is supposed to go on the end of the cable.

I think that for reasons of termination (such as it is for IDE), if
you only have one drive, it should go on the end of the cable. If you
have two, I don't think it matters which is where, especially since
the difference in status implied by "master" and "slave" is an
artefact of the terminology with no counterpart in the functioning of
the interface. This is empirical, of course. But on a cable with two
drives, I've never found it to matter which goes where.

Pigeon