Re: apt after installation

Bruce Park wrote:

The first thing I thought was that maybe the package name was wrong. Is there a simple way to view all the packages say via a file? If there were such a file, then I could pipe the result to grep and get the package name rather easily.

There is apt-cache which is included with apt[man apt-cache], and you can also check out the grep-dctrl package which does exactly what you are looking for in a much more refined way. For instance, in this case you could do 'grep-available -F Provides emacs -s Package' to find all packages that claim to provide emacs functionality in which case you would get lucky since the actual provides is emacsen. :) The file that grep-available uses is /var/lib/dpkg/available, you could probably grep it directly, but that probably wouldn't be as easy as using the tools.