Re: Newbie needs help badly!

[please wrap your lines to something reasonable]

On Fri, Nov 29, 2002 at 12:41:38AM -0800, Fred Sloniker wrote:
> I'd like to apologize in advance to anyone who's helped me with my
> previous questions and hasn't gotten a thank-you.  There's a good
> reason for that, though: Debian ate my email.
>
> I've been trying to get a window system working, but I decided to
> focus on something more basic, specifically getting fetchmail up and
> running.  It grabbed the 300-some mail in my box and put them...
> somewhere.  I don't know where.  My user account, the one they should
> have been sent to, has no mail.  Neither does root.

Fetchmail should have pulled down your mail and delivered it to your
local user account's mail spool in /var/spool/mail/$USER.  Pointing your
MUA at it should allow you to read your mail (mutt -f
/var/spool/mail/$USER, f'r example).

It's possible, I guess, that fetchmail delivered your mail to the wrong
user, but it should still be in /var/spool/mail/.  Try 'ls -l' and see
if it look like your mail has been going elsewhere.

Also, try reading your /var/log/exim/mainlog to see what exim has been
doing with your mail.

> I can't even boot into Linux now because fetchmail will eat more of my
> email.  Would someone please tell me what I need to do to get those
> 300-odd messages delivered so I can stop using Windows?

Worst case, start Linux in single user mode ('Linux 1' at the LILO
prompt) and use rcconf to disable the fetchmail service.

-rob