Re: kernel building for newbies

    "Caitrin" == Caitrin Torres <caitrin@artemista.com> writes:

    Caitrin> Can anyone recommend a tutorial or howto on debian kernel
    Caitrin> building that'd be suitable for someone who's never built
    Caitrin> a kernel before? I have an external CD burner that is
    Caitrin> supposed to use the bpck6 module.  A search confirmed
    Caitrin> that it's a part of the kernel-image and kernel-headers
    Caitrin> packages, but I'm not entirely sure what to *do* with
    Caitrin> those packages or what else I need.

The generic instructions are at
/usr/share/doc/kernel-source-2.4.18/debian.README.gz (or equivalent
document in your kernel package) and are pretty reasonable.

The standard kernel packages include th bpck6 module.

shyamal@rattler:~$ uname -r
2.4.18-k7
shyamal@rattler:~$ find /lib/modules/2.4.18-k7/kernel/ -name 'bpck*' -print
/lib/modules/2.4.18-k7/kernel/drivers/block/paride/bpck.o
/lib/modules/2.4.18-k7/kernel/drivers/block/paride/bpck6.o

You should be able to 'modprobe bpck6' to test it all.

    Caitrin> Also, is there anything to be gained by switching from
    Caitrin> 2.4.18 to 2.4.19 while I'm at it? This is my home
    Caitrin> computer, not a production machine, but I still don't
    Caitrin> want to upgrade if there isn't a good reason.

AFAIK, there is not good reason to upgrade if your current hardware
works fine.

Don't trust me on any of this, I have no clue what a bpck6 module is :-)

Cheers!
Shyamal