Re: How to get compiler changed to gcc-3.20

On Thu, 28 Nov 2002, John Foster wrote:

> I have set the variables in /etc/environment to the following
>
> ### BEGIN DEBCONF SECTION FOR localeconf
> # Do not edit within this region if you want your changes to be preserved
> # by debconf.  Instead, make changes before the "### BEGIN DEBCONF SECTION
> # FOR localeconf" line, and/or after the "### END DEBCONF SECTION FOR
> # localeconf" line.
> LANG=en_US
> ### END DEBCONF SECTION FOR localeconf
> CC=/usr/bin/gcc-3.2
> GCC=/usr/bin/gcc-3.2
> CPP=/usr/bin/cpp-3.2

Hi,
the /usr/share/doc/gcc-3.0-base/README.Debian.gz says:

How are the default compilers selected?
---------------------------------------

[...]
This may seem confusing, but what it allows you do to is install two
versions of the GCC compiler suite at the same time, making sure you are
always using the one preferred for that architecture. To use the other
compiler, simply set CC=gcc-3.0, or similar.
[...]

That seems to be in your file. If you have installed the gcc-3.2 why not simply
link /usr/bin/gcc to /usr/bin/gcc-3.2.

Oliver
--
... don't touch the bang bang fruit