Re: ES1869 sound chip driver

I have recompiled my kernel, including SB support as a module.  Using
modprobe SB esstype=1869 now gives me sound.  However, when I play
a wave file, I get choppy, repetitive cuts.  I'm using the program
wavp.  It seems to play each portion approximately 4 times before
moving on to the next segment.  The utility 'saytime' works, but
runs with long pauses before each word.  Much slower than with my
other machine, using a Gravis Ultrasound card.

Can you offer any tips for tuning up what I have?  Thanks much,
Russ