Re: Webmail question

On Fri, 29 Nov 2002 16:00:40 -0500
"David Ellis" <david@ellisd.ca> wrote:

> Thanks! I'll look into procmail..............
>
> I'm assuming its an MTA (replacement for exim)?
>
> - David

1st, I use courier imapd -- you'll need to verify some of this delivery
stuff as far as Cyrus goes and get all of your mail folder paths
straight. I do not know the Cyrus setup at all, Courier uses regular
folders in my home directory and stores mail in MAILDIR format.

No, it's a mail "filtering" program. If you install it and leave exim
alone exim will use it if you have a .procmailrc file in your home
directory or deliver as usual if you don't. I have Courier IMAP set up
with ~/Maildir as my main IMAP folder and I set up my .procmailrc to
deliver there (and subfolders in it) and left exim alone. That way if I
have a user on my system who does NOT want to use IMAP their mail will
still go to /var/mail/{username} and they can use POP3 or a local mail
program to read it rather than having to set up an IMAP client or use
squirrelmail.

My apache is broken right now anyway and I don't feel like figuring out
why so squirrelmail is down. I use Sylpheed to read my IMAP box both
here on the local machine and from mt laptop through an ssh tunnel when
I'm away from here.

Any web search for "procmail" should bring about a zillion hits. If you
just apt-get install procmail it will get it on your system but not
actually use it for anything. You have to set up a ~/.procmailrc before
it gets used for filtering.

Here's a most of my .procmailrc showing delivery to my
~/Maildir/.whatever folders. Note that you cannot use "~" to denote your
home directory, you must use $HOME and Maildir folders MUST be
terminated with a "/" or it will deliver to MH style folders.

Also note the commented out backup section. It would be a GOOD IDEA to
create a folder called "backup" and uncomment that section when you are
"playing" with setup. Just remember to go empty that folder daily
because it will get a copy of EVERY message that gets delivered to you.

Also note the "final failure" catchall at the end. If none of the other
recipes deliver the mail to another folder then this will catch it and
deliver it to a box set up as an "inbox" for "all other unsorted mail".

SHELL=/bin/sh
PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/mh/bin:/usr/bin:/bin
MAILDIR=$HOME/Maildir/
LOGFILE=$HOME/Mail/fetchlog

#Regenerate a clean 'From' header
:0fhw
|formail -I "From " -a "From "

#Copy all incoming mail to ~/mail/backup **CLEAN WEEKLY BY HAND**
#:0c:
#.backup/

#debian-user
:0:
* ^Resent-Sender.*debian-user-request@lists.debian.org
.Debian-User/

#debian-firewall
:0:
* ^Resent-Sender.*debian-firewall-request@lists.debian.org
.Debian-Firewall/

#debian-security-announce
:0:
* ^Resent-Sender.*debian-security-announce-request@lists.debian.org
.Debian-Security/

#AmaVis Users
:0:
* ^Sender.*amavis-user-admin@lists.sourceforge.net
.Amavis-user/

#HVWC
:0:
* ^Sender.*list-owner@hvwc.net
.HVWC/

#VVW
:0:
* ^Sender.*owner-vintagvw@listproc.sjsu.edu
.VVW/

#buskatiers
:0:
* ^Resent-From.*buskatiers@buskatiers.org
.Buskatiers/

#Nikki
:0:
* ^From.*punchinupastorm@aol.com
.Nikki/
#Nikki
:0:
* ^From.*scrappinupastorm@aol.com
.Nikki/
#Nikki
:0:
* ^From.*nickolette68@aol.com
.Nikki/

#CSCMail
:0:
* ^Sender.*cscmail-users-admin@lists.sourceforge.net
.CSCMail/

#cron

:0:
* ^From.*gvl2@localhost
.Cron/

#uptimed
:0:
* ^From.*root@localhost
.Cron/

#Ebay
:0:
* ^From.*listingconfirm@ebay.com
.Ebay/
:0:
* ^From.*endofauction@ebay.com
.Ebay/
:0:
* ^From.*bidconfirm@ebay.com
.Ebay/
:0:
* ^From.*personaloffer@ebay.com
.Ebay/
:0:
* ^From.*endoftransaction@ebay.com
.Ebay/
:0:
* ^From.*aw-confirm@ebay.com
.Ebay/

#Final failure -- dump to IMAP inbox2 folder
:0:
.inbox2/

--
Configure your Email to send TEXT ONLY -- See the following page:
http://expita.com/nomime.html

gvl2 (Gerald)
AirBall the Rolling Basket Case (1969 Standard Beetle)
LifeSaver (1974 Bay Window Bus)
http://www.phorce1.com