Re: how to make hda become hdb? (not a hardware question)

Once upon a time Levi Waldron said...

> Before the switch,
> -change fstab references from hda to hdb
> -in lilo.conf, change the root filesystem to root=/dev/hdb1 but leave
> boot=/dev/hda
> -run lilo
> -Put the HD in the secondary position and the win HD back in its primary
> position.  Set up the win bootloader to give an option to point to the
> secondary HD.

I dont know much about the windows bootloader, but it wouldn't suprise
me if it didn't have the capability to chain boot to another MBR. It may
expect to have the secondary boot loader inside a partition.

So, you may want to set lilo to "boot=/dev/hda1" (to become
"boot=/dev/hdb1" after loading windows). I'd also do what you planned as
well - that way you'll have two boot blocks and one of them should be
able to please windows :)