Sound (SBLive) | Gnome Problems

Greetings,

I've been having trouble getting sound to work in my
Debian unstable setup. Environment sounds seem to work
well in KDE (I get a sound when I open and close
windows and that kind of stuff) and I was able to get
sound when playing MP3s through XMMS. However, I
cannot get any sound when playing CDs.

soundcore and emu10k1 are loaded as modules in kernel
2.4.19.

My other problem is the gnome2 desktop. I upgraded
from gnome to gnome2 and I seem to be having
conflicts. How can I completly remove all the gnome
related stuff so that I can install gnome2 from
scratch?