Re: recompiling kernel with just one change?

On Fri, Nov 29, 2002 at 03:05:27PM +0100, Alex Polite wrote:
> When I need to recompile my kernel I usually erase my /usr/src/linux,
> get a fresh version copy in my old .config and start working.
> Compiling the kernel only takes 10 minutes, so it's no big deal. But
> still... I'd rather just recompile the stuff that needs it. Sometimes
> It's just a matter of adding a single module. I'm sure there some
> smart way of doing this, preferably using kernel-package.

afaik with kernel-package you need to:

# cd /usr/src/linux
# cp .config ../oldconfig
# make-kpkg clean
# cp ../oldconfig .config
# make menuconfig <and add in the new options>
# make-kpkg --revision <increment revision by .1> binary

it's annoying, but i don't know of any way to do this without running
'clean' first.  if anyone else does, i'd love to know!

	sean