Re: /dev/cdrom, /dev/scd0, /dev/sg0 ?

On Thu, Nov 28, 2002 at 04:46:07PM +0100, Qian Gong wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using CDRDAO to record CDs. I add the user to group cdrom to enable
> the access to /dev/scd0 (linked by /dev/cdrom). But I got an error
> message 'Cannot map "/dev/cdrom" to a SG device." It seems the user
> should have to ability to access /dev/sg0.

Yes, you have to be able to write to sgn to burn CDs.

> What's the relationship
> between /dev/scd0 and /dev/sg0? Thanks in advance.

scd0 is a CD-ROM device that is accessed using SCSI CD-ROM commands.
sg0 is what's called a  'generic' SCSI device, where raw commands are
sent to the drive.  To be able to read a CD, then read access to scd0
should be enough.  To write CDs, though, you have to be able to write to
sg0 to send the specific commands.

A weird thing came up on #debian today, which maybe someone else can
explain to _me_: a guy was trying to setup CD ripping with ide-scsi
emulation enabled, and had enormous trouble since cdparanoia claimed it
couldn't find a generic device.  He only had one SCSI device (real and
emulated), which was mountable from /dev/scd0, and he had write perms on
both scd0 and sg0.  In the end, it turned out that he had to have write
permissions on 'sg1' as well.  Why is that?  I was under the impression
that sgn was the generic device for scdn, but apparently not...

> BTW, cdrdao works well by root.

Of course, root has write permissions on sgx.  Running cdrdao as a
normal might still not work though, since it can't give itself real-time
priority, nor lock pages into RAM.  You can give it a go though.

-rob