Re: Newbie needs help badly!

Fred Sloniker said:

> I can't even boot into Linux now because fetchmail will eat more of my
> email.  Would someone please tell me what I need to do to get those
> 300-odd messages delivered so I can stop using Windows?

I can't remember fetchmail ever eating a message for me. what fetchmail
does is retrieve mail then re-send it via the local mail system. So
if your user johnf, and your system name is john.example.com, and you
run fetchmail it's supposed to re-send those emails to johnf@john.example.com,
if your mail system is not working(not configured, not fully installed)
then they may be stuck in a local mail queue(try running 'mailq') also
check your local inbox, in most cases this is /var/spool/mail/$USER
though if you configured another system such as cyrus or courier it
may be stored elsewhere.

if the local mail server was broken for some reason, the email may of
bounced and may be stored elsewhere, in sendmail this is sometimes
/var/lib/sendmail/dead.letter I think. Other MTAs I'm not sure about.
you can also check the mail server's logs.

nate