Re: how to make hda become hdb?

hiya,

> I have debian installed on /dev/hda, how can I switch this hard drive to
> become /dev/hdb?

you have to physically change the connecter on your hard drive.  ide
goes something like this

/dev/hda*	<-	master disk on primary ide chain
/dev/hdb*	<-	slave disk on primary ide chain
/dev/hdc*	<-	master disk on secondary ide chain
/dev/hdd*	<-	slave disk on secondary ide chain

so you need to move your hard drive from master to slave on the
same ide chain to make it hdb.  also, you'll have to change the
jumper settings on the hard drive too.  if you're lucky, there'll
be a diagram on the back of the drive that says which way you
should put it, and if not, you'll either need your manual or
google with the model number.

of course, this leads me to ask why you want to do this in the
first place :)

	sean