Re: [OT]: is this crap? -> wininformant headline "Most Insecure OS? Yep, It's Linux"

On Thu, Nov 28, 2002 at 10:19:32AM -0600, Mailing List wrote:
> I have been saying this for the last 6 months that Redmond is behind finding
> all these exploits on Open Source. Who better stands from these exploits
> then M$??

Easy.  The community.  While I'm sure the study definately had some
ill-gotten Microsoft influence, I highly doubt that Microsoft would go
out looking for bugs in software they don't own the rights to just to
discredit them.  Look at Microsoft's reputation for making reliable
software then tell me they do that.

Our source gets to be poked and prodded by all comers.  Many eyes make
bugs shallow.  We may not know what all our bugs are, and we may never
know whose code has more bugs line for line, but we've at least have a
good idea what most of those bugs are.

Another difference is the Microsoft community has lower standards.
They're willing to put up with software that randomly segfaults and
takes down the system.  That same sort of thing is tracked down and
killed with a vengeance in the free software world.  A segfault in
some userspace program that takes down the system independant of a
hardware fault might make The Oregonian.

--
 .''`.     Baloo <baloo@ursine.dyndns.org>
: :'  :    proud Debian admin and user