Re: architectures

On Wed, 27 Nov 2002 17:02:33 -0500
Meredith Richmond <meranne@mac.com> wrote:

> how do i know what architecture my computer is?
>
> my computer  is an acer notebook P1 (i sent a previous email saying it
> was a 486, but i was wrong)
> i would like to make sure linux is compatible with my computer before i
> change over but i find this a little confusing, so any other tidbits of
> info would be useful.

Pentia, 486's, Athlons all count as 386's for basic architecture. [Macs
are ppc's]. The only place you need to delve deeper is for kernels and
even there a 386 kernel will work just fine but won't necessarily use all
the new instructions/pipelining etc.

James

--
James Tappin,             O__      "I forget the punishment for using
james@tappin.me.uk       --  \/`    Microsoft --- Something lingering