Re: debian filesystem inside a file

Hello Jason,

Am 21:15 2002-11-24 -0600 hat Jason Pepas geschrieben:

>hello,
>
>i was wondering if it is possible to install debian, using a file as a
>partition.  Sort of like how BeOS will install inside windows,
creating its
>filesystem in a file.
>
>I think this has been done with umsdos, but what about under NTFS?  Is
>there any hope of that?

You do not need 'umsdos'.

Create a file with

        'dd if=/dev/zero of=./image.bin bs=1k count=65536'
                (count is your Maximum size in kBytes)
and then make

        'mkfs.minix ./image.bin'
                (or ext2 if bigger then 64 MByte)

mount it als loopdevice like

        'mount -t minix ./image.bi /mnt -o loop'
                (or ext2 if bigger then 64 MByte)

Install your Sytem on it (with the right patrameters (inclusive mbr)

Now copy it to the Windows Partition and setup loadlin, to load the
Linux-Image

Michelle

P.S.:   There is a Howto, how to make this.