From: Levi Waldron [mailto:ledawa@softhome.net]
Sent: Tuesday, November 26, 2002 5:17 PM
To: Wathen, Metherion
Cc: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: How do you recover a long filename that Wndows squashed?

On November 26, 2002 04:10 pm, Wathen, Metherion wrote:
> well here's the weird thing,
> if i look at the files on my windows pc using filemanager the filenames
are
> long, if i use mc on my debian machine the filenames are shortened with a
> tilde filling in the missing parts.
> so what ive been doing is umounting the cd, putting it in the windows box,
> writing the name on piece of paper, go back to the linux box, dpkg -i
<type
> in the long filename>.
> its been an experience :)
> mw.

I guess that's because your cd burning software added the Joliet
extensions for long filenames in windows, but not the Rock Ridge extensions
that Linux needs to see the long filenames.  You could copy the the files
onto your windows drive, then mount that drive from linux and linux will
see the long filenames.

ie,

mkdir /windows
mount /dev/hda /windows   (sub hda with windows hd device name)

On the other hand, can't you dpkg -i using the shortened filename?