Re: computer dead; help!

* Nori Heikkinen <nori@sccs.swarthmore.edu> [27-11-2002 05:29]:
> just got back to my room, and found my computer happily sleeping and
> xscreensaving.  moved the mouse, clicked over a few desktops, and the
> screen goes off, totally black, as if it had lost power.  all
> connections and cables still fine.  of course i should have tried to
> ssh in from somewhere else at this point, but i turned it off before i
> thought to.  back on, i can't even ping it, and i have no idea what
> just happened.  help??

If you don't get any startup messages or beeps, you can try to
disconnect the power cable for a while. After say half an hour,
connect cable and attempt to start the system.

If you do get any indication (i.e. beeps), you need to investigate
what they mean.

If nothing works, it's either time to buy a new computer or to ready
your screwdrivers, depending on amounts of time, money and skill
available to you.

Good luck,
Bob