Re: How do you recover a long filename that Wndows squashed?

On Tue, 26 Nov 2002 17:01:58 -0500, "Wathen, Metherion"
<mwathen@bsadesign.com> wrote:

>that sounds good cause youre absolutely right when i started setting up this
>system i used some old dos 6.22 disks to get the hd formatted. my kernel is
>2.2.19 'potato'
>so how do i rebuild my kernel with joliet enabled, speak slowly i'm a newbie
>:)
>thanks,
>mw.

Ah. The two problems are not (obviously) connected. First, re kernel,
see Vineet's reply; your kernel probably already has Joliet enabled.
You could try mounting some other Windoze CDs and seeing if you can
get the long filenames on them. Try a few to be sure. This is
definitely worth doing before jumping into the kernel rebuild.

I don't have a tested solution for the DOS 6.22 problem, which seems
to be what has bitten you. The CD on which it bit me is just as you
describe - long filenames when you read it in Windoze and short ones
in Linux. I got around it by burning another CD, making sure I used a
FAT32 drive instead of a DOS-formatted one to transfer the files.

If your Windoze and Linux HDs are in the same box then see Levi's
solution. If, as I suspect, you've got two separate boxes, you could
try reading the dodgy CD back onto a FAT32 drive and then burning
another CD from the FAT32 drive. You could always use a CD-RW for
experimenting.

Again, try that before rebuilding the kernel.

Good luck,
Pigeon