Re: How do you recover a long filename that Wndows squashed?

On Tue, 26 Nov 2002 13:27:00 -0500, "Wathen, Metherion"
<mwathen@bsadesign.com> wrote:

>I have files that have been downloaded from the Debian site and burned to
>cdrom, when i use mc to copy the files to my harddrive for installation a
>big part of the long name is replaced with a tilde; how do I get the long
>name back?
>Is my cdroms file format incorrect in fstab? any help would be great!
>thanks,
>mw.

I don't think you can. I think the program you used to burn the CD
munged them and you can't get them back. Either that or you wrote the
files to an HD that was formatted with DOS 6.22 or earlier before you
burned the CD.

In Nero 5.5 you set "Iso Level 2 (max 31 chars)", "ISO 9660",
"Joliet", "Allow path depth of more than 8 directories" and "Allow
more than 255 characters in path" in the ISO tab of the New
Compilation dialog.

You may be lucky: Joliet is a kernel option; if your kernel doesn't
have it you will only see the short filenames (IIRC). Solution:
rebuild your kernel and enable Joliet. I don't know if the prepackaged
kernels include Joliet support, but I'd be a bit surprised if they
didn't or loads of people would be getting this problem.

Pigeon