Re: Looking for a backup to CD-R(W) program

Chris,

I found the mail I alluded to before.  It is also from linux-kernel...
You can see it at: http://old.lwn.net/2001/0503/a/lt-dump.php3
He seems to say that you can get a corrupted backup regardless of
whether you use CD-R(W) or not.
An excerpt:
====
Note that dump simply won't work reliably at all even in 2.4.x: the buffer
cache and the page cache (where all the actual data is) are not
coherent. This is only going to get even worse in 2.5.x, when the
directories are moved into the page cache as well.

So anybody who depends on "dump" getting backups right is already playing
russian rulette with their backups.  It's not at all guaranteed to get the
right results - you may end up having stale data in the buffer cache that
ends up being "backed up".
====

Joe