Re: Non-Linux-aware ISP: please spoon feed

John Hasler wrote:
Pigeon writes:

I am trying to set up my Linux box to connect to my Waitrose ISP
account. I am using this one rather than my ukonline one because ukonline
requires my box to fetch DNS addresses every time it logs on,...

Ppp can deal with this.  Just select 'Dynamic' in the 'Configure
Nameservers' screen in pppconfig.

It sounds like Waitrose may have static DNS server addresses. Ask them for the DNS addresses (there are usually two) of the form nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn

In pppconfig choose Advanced options > Nameservers >Static and enter each address in turn.

You don't need to do any of that.  That's what pppconfig is for.  Undo all
the manual changes you made, run pppconfig again, and select 'PAP'
authentication (which is what they almost certainly use).

I agree. My UK ISP uses PAP.

Hth,

Chris

--