sources.list syntax

I think I've read the usual docs on sources.list.  But I still don't get it.
Everytime I put something in there by hand it searches all kinds of places
under the main url that I find unpredictable.  3/4 times now it did not find
the file I was trying to point it at.

If there is a .deb file somewhere, anywhere, and I want to point dselect at
it, what do I put in the sources.list file?  Is there some kind of agreed
upon directory structure?  I thought options were equivalent to dir names
but that doesn't seem to be the case.  It seems to really look around, but
what exactly is it looking for to tell it what is there, the dependencies
etc?