Re: debian filesystem inside a file

On Sun, Nov 24, 2002 at 09:15:24PM -0600, Jason Pepas wrote:
> i was wondering if it is possible to install debian, using a file as a
> partition.  Sort of like how BeOS will install inside windows, creating its
> filesystem in a file.
>
> I think this has been done with umsdos, but what about under NTFS?  Is there
> any hope of that?

I doubt it.  While you can load a file system from a file (it's called
loopback mounting), you can't on an NTFS partition.  MS not only refuses
to document it, but they keep changing the format in various new and
exciting (and incompatible) ways, and there are no Free drivers which
understand NTFS well enough to safely write to it.

The Linux NTFS folks are working on it though, so it might be possible
soonish...

-rob