audio problems

Hi all,

I can't seem to get sound working here... I've added the user Amit to the
audio group, and installed esd* and alsa*. I don't have alsa modules in the
kernel, but I guess it should work with oss. I have ac97 audio system.

this might help you:

Amit@magrathea:~$ cat > /dev/dsp
bash: /dev/dsp: No such device
Amit@magrathea:~$ ls -l /dev/dsp
crw-rw----    1 root     audio     14,   3 Mar 15  2002 /dev/dsp
Amit@magrathea:~$

when trying to play some mp3s using mpg123, it segfaults...

what could be the problem and the solution?

[pls cc me]

---
discoveries, is not "Eureka!" (I found it!) but "That's funny ..."
                -- Isaac Asimov

Amit Shah
http://amitshah.nav.to/