blackbox menu & xterm

Any ideas why my right-click-on-the-desktop menu isn't working
properly?

I select "xterm" and apparently an xterm starts, writes the message
"BScreen::BScreen: managing screen 0 using visual 0x21, depth 24" to
the text console from which I started X, and immediately exits. I
don't see anything on the X screen, and ps ax shows no xterm to be
running afterwards.

Starting an xterm by typing "xterm" in another xterm works OK.

Any ideas (a) what might be wrong or (b) which would be the most
helpful bits of extra information to post if such are needed?

That's blackbox 0.62.1, X 4.2.0, Debian 2.1, kernel 2.4.18, video card
SiS 6326 PCI.

Pigeon