kbdrate problems

hello,

I am currently using a script, /etc/init.d/kbdrate.sh, to set my keyboard
repeat rate to something reasonable (like 30).

However, on one of my boxes, if you switch to a tty (ctrl-alt-f1), the rate is
still 30, but upon switching back to X, the rate has reverted to the boot
time default.  switching back to the tty reveals it is now back to the
default there too.

this problem only occurs on one of my machines.  On the other one, the tty's
and X are able to maintain different repeat rates.

is there a better way to set this?  a boot parameter perhaps?  what sets it to
the default anyway, and is there a way to set that?

thanks,
jason pepas