Re: Low Disk Space (deleting /usr/share/locales) and printing

on Sun, Nov 24, 2002, Elizabeth Barham (lizzy@soggytrousers.net) wrote:
> Dear Everyone,
>
>    I have a limited-disk capacity machine (about 130 Megs) that acts
> as a firewall and a print server (with lpd and samba). I am now
> interested in allowing this machine to accept postscript streams,
> convert it into something acceptable for the HP 5L printer with
> ghostscript, and then pipe it out to the printer. Unfortunately, there
> is only about 7 Megs available on the machine's HDD.
>
>    To work around the low disk-space before, I deleted a lot of the
> directories within /usr/share/doc.

Hmm...not sure if this is adviseable.  Note that the files will be
recreated when you update the system.

Better to find out where your space is being used, *or* supply more
storage.  Disk is cheap, and used 2G+ disks can be had for literally a
few dollars.  For transient data (e.g.:  PS spools) this may be optimal.

> Now that that has been done, the next directories to delete are the
> man pages, since man is not even on that particular system.

I'd suggest looking at what packages you have installed, and removing
cruft, rather than arbitrarially deleting stuff from the filesystem.

Perl (largely required), TeX (largely not), and emacs (depends) are some
of the largest packages or aggregate packages.

>    But, even then, that would not be enough to install gs:
>
>             Need to get 10.0MB of archives. After unpacking
>             31.2MB will be used.
>
>      1) Do I need all those locale files? LANG=C and if I understand
>         this correctly, I do not need *any* locale files.
>
>         Removing all these files will only free up about 7 megs but that
>         should help me achieve the goal some.
>
>      2) What printing subsystem do you recommend?

On a firewall:  none.

Peace.