Re: Kernel panic booting woody 2.4.18 "root=301"

Tom Schutter wrote:
On Sat, 2002-11-23 at 22:30, Travis Crump wrote:

You need a line:
initrd=/boot/initrd.img-2.4.19-bf2.4
in the image section of your lilo.conf[assuming initrd.img-2.4.19-bf2.4 exists, it should or something very similarly named]. Also, it is my understanding that 2.4.19-bf2.4 is only supposed to be used for installation and you should install a 'real' kernel once you have your system up and running. apt-cache search kernel-image and apt-get install the one that looks appropriate for your system. This is not to say though that this kernel shouldn't work indefinately...

AFAIK, this is not required by 2.4.18, but only by 2.4.19.  As you can
see by my uname output above, I am running 2.4.18.  Also note that I can
boot fine if the drive is in another machine, just not if it is in the
IOpener.

Based on the theory that a kernel image would only depend on initrd-tools if it used an initrd.img, I checked the reverse depends section for initrd-tools and since at least 2.4.12[the first 2.4 kernel I've used, and still shows up cause it was on the CDs I used to install Debian] it was required[and this jives with my memory]. But your logic that the hard drive boots in another machine is unimpeachable so I can only assume that the boot floppies are different than the regular kernels, and I have never used the boot floppy kernel image so I will be quiet now. :)