Re: hdparm and DMA

Lourens replying to mdevin <mdevin@ozemail.com.au> wrote:

      >  Actually, some more digging shows some new support in the 2.5
      >  kernel for the VIA VT8235 chipset which is on my mobo.  It
      >  seems that udma6 can then be enabled by passing 'ide0=ata66' to
      >  the kernel at boot time.(Note that I do have the drive
      >  connected using an 80 pin ATA133 cable).
      >
      >  Hmmm, I don't think I want a 2.5 kernel just yet, even if it
      >  would support USB2.0 which the mobo also has.

Same here.
I have two mobos using the vt8235.

You should see the following from dmesg:
VP_IDE: Unknown VIA SouthBridge, contact Vojtech Pavlik
<vojtech@suse.cz>.

I found a patch wriiten by Vojtech for 2.4.19 and have succesfully
applied it to one of my machines, well worth the small effort of
patching and re-compiling. (I have just removed SuSE from the machine I
am currently using and have yet to do the 2.4.19/patch thing on it)

I found the patch via a search for  vt8235 at www.google.com/linux.

HTH

***

Linux and Open Source Software by choice

***

Lourens Steenkamp
R.S.A.