Re: relation of /etc/modules and /etc/modules.conf

    "Ross" == Ross Boylan <RossBoylan@stanfordalumni.org> writes:

    Ross> What is the relation of /etc/modules to /etc/modules.conf?
    Ross> Which runs first?

/etc/modules.conf controls the behavior of modprobe.

/etc/modules is a list of modules loaded at system boot.

    Ross> Do options in modules.conf get picked up by the modules
    Ross> specified in /etc/modules?

Yes. Because the modules listed in /etc/modules are modprobe'ed.

    Ross> Do they get picked up even if the line in /etc/modules
    Ross> specifies some options?

Not sure about this one. You will have to RTFM or wait for a more
knowledgeable answer.

    Ross> Do modules listed in /etc/modules get loaded by modprobe
    Ross> (which according to the docs uses modules.conf) or insmod?

Yes. See /etc/init.d/modutils for the code.

    Ross> Finally, am I right that /etc/modules is Debian-specific?

Not sure, I did not really start using modularized kernels until I
switched to Debian nearly two years ago (I used to be a Slackware guy,
and simply can't remember). It might be, it might not. But it is the
Debian Way to look modules after boot.

Look at the man pages for modprobe, modules.conf for details.

BTW, you never edit modules.conf directly. See 'man update-modules'.

Cheers!
Shyamal