Re: Looking for a backup to CD-R(W) program

-----Original Message----- From: Joe Nahmias [mailto:joe@nahmias.net]
  Sent: Thursday, 14 November 2002 2:33 PM

> I am looking for recommendations for software to backup my debian
> (sarge) machine to my cd burner.  As this is my home machine, I don't
> think I need the client-server functionality of amanda or some of the
> other backup packages... I'm just looking for something that can do
> full and incremental backups of selected filesystems to CD in a quick
>  and simple manner.

You could try dump and restore using a large disc partition (preferably on a different disc). Dump is great for incremental backups (10 levels). To do a full backup of a file system use -M (multivolume switch) and -B (-B 650000 sets files to a max of 650 Mb). Then burn your CDs using cdrecord, Xcdroast, etc. You now have backups and a permanent copy of any backups you want to keep safe away from your machine.

Full backup of /home directory:
dump -0u -z -M -B 650000 -f /bkp/home/full.dump /home

Incremental weekly backup:
dump -5u -z -M -B 650000 -f /bkp/home/week1.dump /home

Incremental daily backup:
dump -3u -z -M -B 650000 -f /bkp/home/monday.dump /home

restore has an interactive mode for viewing, tagging and restoring files:
restore -i -f /bkp/home/week1.dump

Lots more switches and examples in the dump man file.

Hth,

Chris.

--
:  ___   Chris Lale   <ctlale@coolscience.co.uk>                  :