Re: apt & dselect failure to remove mozilla *solved*

On Thursday 21 November 2002 10:17 am, you wrote:
> Hello:
>
> I was unable to get mozilla to run.  It did not complain when I attempted
> to launch from an xterm, nor did it run.  I finally decided to remove
> mozilla and its parts and reinstall it.  That is where I ran into problems.
>  During the reinstall, x crashed while downloading mozilla and mozilla-psm.
>  I restarted x and then dselect in another xterm.  dselect complained that
> the mozilla-psm file was corrupt.  I tried to purge it so I could start
> over but it simply will not.  I will paste some details below.
>
> Question, is there a way to force a package that is now selected for
> removal out of the system?  I have gone so far as looking into dpkg (force
> items) and it still fails.  Right now, it looks like it is trying to
> *create* symlinks (like it was being installed) even though apt is trying
> to remove it.  Any help would be much appreciated.
>
>  pts/1$ > apt-get dist-upgrade
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> Calculating Upgrade... Done
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>   mozilla-psm
> 0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0  not upgraded.
> 1 packages not fully installed or removed.
> Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 537kB will be freed.
> (Reading database ... 78654 files and directories currently installed.)
> Removing mozilla-psm ...
> Updating mozilla chrome registry...ln: creating symbolic link
> `/usr/lib/mozilla/chrome/overlayinfo'
> to `/var/lib/mozilla/chrome/overlayinfo': No such file or directory
> dpkg: error processing mozilla-psm (--remove):
>  subprocess post-removal script returned error exit status 1
>  mozilla-psm
>   localepurge: processing locale files ...
>   localepurge: processing man pages ...
> ~ pts/1$ >

- ----ugly quote----

When a post-removal script fails, none of dpkg, dselect, or apt-get will
help. Instead, you need to inspect /var/lib/dpkg/info/mozilla-psm.postrm
(the script that's failing in this case), and either tweak the system so
that it succeeds or comment out the parts of the script that fail.

Plus, of course, make sure that a bug is filed.

Using, say, 'apt-get remove --purge' is common advice in this situation;
I'm not sure why, as it just calls down to dpkg and fails in exactly the
same way.

Cheers,

- --
- ---end ugly quote---

Colin:

Thanks for your assistance.  I found the files and decided to follow each
apt-get remove error as they occurred.  In the end, I copied several files
from my working laptop's mozilla directories, created several other
non-existant directories and was able to finally convince apt to do my dirty
work with success!  After this, I was able to install mozilla, followed by
mozilla-psm without a hitch.

I am not convinced that I should file a bug report.  I didn't explain all the
details, so that I could focus attention on my [then] current problem.  My
system is now a new system with my old harddisk and kernel.  The system is
not stable, and this is what is causing x and dselect to crash.  Until I can
gain system stability, I will have to deal with this windoz like behavior.  I
am not even sure if my mainboard's via kt400 chipset is supported by my
2.4.18 kernel :|

Now I need to decide if I should seek 2.4.19 kernel-source since it is not
available in stable. . .

Thanks again, I really appreciated the tips.

tatah

- --

Jaye Inabnit<ARS ke6sls>A Debian-Gnu/Linux user
If it's stupid, but works, it ain't stupid. I SHOUT JUST FOR FUN.
Free software, in a free world, for a free spirit. Please Support freedom!