Very low connect speeds

I seem to be getting very low connect speeds.  I measured it using several
different connection speed tests on the web, and they all repeatedly
report connect speeds of 20k or less, when I'm using 56k modem and had set
it at 115200 with pppconfig.  A check of /var/log/messages says the
connection is at 115200, but....  I use pon/poff to start/stop the
connection.  My other computer is a Win98 box, with the same ISP and
routinely gets 48-50k connections.  Why are mine now so low?
Thanks,
Chip.