Re: debian crashes server (can't use debian ? :-( )

On Fri, 22 Nov 2002 08:51, Benedict Verheyen wrote:
> > most likely there is a hardware problem. Linux doesn't just shutdown
> > without a reason :)
>
> Yep, my "workmachine" has 2 debian's and a win os running and i never
> had problems with my debian systems before.
>
> > win98 is a piece of shit OS, and doesn't stress the hardware nearly
> > as much as a linux installation does(or perhaps even a NT4 install or
> > win2000)

If you have flaky memory above 64meg Wonders98 won't be crashed
immediately by it because that piece of shitware doesn't use anything
above 64meg. It stuffs all of the excess memory needs into the swap file
including memory cached disk pages.

That's why you can crash that piece of shit every two hours if you are
doing anything heavy like C++ compiles.

I would be running memtest86 before I abandoned Debian.

The only good thing about W98 was that it persuaded me to give Ms the
arse in favour of Linux.

HTH
Bob