Re: LiLo installing

On Sat, 23 Nov 2002 00:30:30 +0200 (EET), HNO3 <hno3@mbnet.fi> wrote:

>Hello.
>How i can install lilo when i have system like this:
>there is Win98 installed at hda
>and linux is in hdb, without boot partition. (only 2 linux partions and swap)
>Now i have a boot disk and i put it in when i want to start up linux.
>
>How i can install lilo (or something similar boot menu) if i don't want to
>lose data on my disks?
>
> - Mankeli / Hno3

The method that carries the least risk of trashing anything is to make
a directory on your Windoze drive, say c:\linux, and put into it
LOADLIN.EXE and the appropriate kernel image and initrd image (if you
have an initrd). Make a file c:\linux\linux.par containing your boot
parameters; the first line must be the name of the kernel image, the
rest is much the same as lilo configuration. Make a file
c:\windows\command\linux.bat containing the single line
c:\linux\loadlin.exe @c:\linux\linux.par.

To boot Linux, hold down Ctrl when you boot; when the Win98 boot menu
appears, select "Safe mode command prompt only"; when you get the
prompt, enter the command linux and Linux will boot.

There's a way to add your own entries to this menu, but I can't
remember how. To make it come up all the time, I think you add a line
BootMenu=1 to MSDOS.SYS.

To boot Linux when Windoze is running, create a shortcut to
c:\windows\command\linux.bat and set it to run in MS-DOS Mode. You
then simply double-click on the shortcut to boot Linux.

This method doesn't involve mucking around with the MBR and will never
leave your box in an unbootable condition. It's not regarded as
ideologically sound by hardcore Linux enthusiasts but it works jolly
well for me. I don't mind the minor inconvenience in booting Linux cos
you never have to re-boot it.

LOADLIN.EXE and its docs are on the install CD.

Pigeon

(BTW it is quite easy to produce your sig at home...)