RE: 2.4.18 SMP Kernel - Running but have a question

On Fri, 22 Nov 2002 at 3:15pm, nate wrote:

:deFreese, Barry said:
:> nate,
:>
:> Thanks for the reply.  That's whats odd.  (Remember I'm a total newbie
:> here) I pulled the kernel building HOWTO off of the Debian site but most
:> of the references were to RedHat so I'm a little confused.  I tried to use
:> make-kpkg but it kept failing so I did just like the HOWTO says:
:>
:> make clean
:> make xconfig
:> make dep
:> make
:> make bzImage
:> make modules - There weren't any
:> make install - This is where it ran LILO for me???
:>
:> What did I screw up??  The really weird thing is that it appears that the
:> kernel image name that it built is just called Linux???
:
:I don't think you screwed up, possibly just the main kernel source
:doesn't take into account the differences between distributions.
:
:when I compile from source and while I am not using kernel-package(most
:of the time I use it) I do:
:
:make menuconfig (for me, its easier then xconfig, xconfig exposues so many
:more options even when they are greyed out, harder to sort through everything)
:make clean
:make dep
:make bzImage
:make modules
:make modules_install
:cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-#.#.##
:
:(edit lilo.conf)

lilo

:)

Patrick

--
Patrick Wiseman                               pwiseman@mindspring.com
Linux user #17943                             *Google First, Ask Later*